Monday, September 10, 2007

Archtop Guitars in New Orleans


So I finally started a blog. It's really just going to be a place where I talk about guitars. Archtop guitars, electric guitars, acoustic guitars, jazz guitars - these are my favorite things. For my first post, I want to let you in on a little secret I discovered in New Orleans. I heard about some amazing hand-made guitars that are custom built by a luthier named Jimmy Foster. I have seen some of his guitars on eBay, and they look amazing. However, when I visited his website, I noticed that Jimmy Foster is also an amazing 7-string jazz guitarist, as there are several recordings of Jimmy playing one of his custom 7-string archtop guitars. While the traditional jazz guitar has 6-strings, Jimmy plays jazz guitar with an extra string: a low A. This allows him to play bass lines in the style of George Van Eps and Bucky Pizzarelli. He's got several models, including archtops, solid body electric guitars, and acoustic guitars. There are several well-known guitarists who play Jimmy's guitar, and Paul Simon is one of them. Jimmy even took the time to make some videos of himself making a guitar. It's pretty cool to see all the different tools that he uses. Anyways, take a minute to check out his site: www.fosterguitars.com

No comments: